Our creamy chicken and asparagus pie recipe is the perfect springtime dish to make the most of the short UK asparagus season, which runs from April until June.
Creamy chicken filling, perfectly crumbly pastry and fresh asparagus – this recipe is utter pie-fection.
Recipe serves 4-6
4 Chicken thighs, or chicken breasts if you would prefer for a lighter taste – chopped into chunks
150g Asparagus – chopped into pieces
250ml of Boosh Rosemary & Thyme Organic Chicken Bone Broth – available from booshfoods.com, Ocado, and Amazon
1 Sheet of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
1 Sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan and lightly grease your pie tin with oil.
- Heat a pan on low and fry your chicken until it starts to brown, then turn off the heat and remove from pan.
- In the empty pan mix the butter and flour until it forms a paste, then slowly add the Boosh Rosemary & Thyme Organic Chicken Bone Broth while stirring constantly. Once all mixed, leave to cool off the heat.
- While you wait, roll out the shortcrust pastry for the base of your pie. Use the pie tin as your guideline, with the pastry a little bit bigger than the tin. Place the pastry into the pie tin and mould it to the tin.
- Re-add the chicken to the pan along with the asparagus, then spoon this mixture into the pastry case.
- Roll out the puff pastry for the top of your pie, again ensuring that it is a bit bigger than your pie tin. Top the pie with it and trim off any extra pastry. Then whisk an egg and use it to egg wash the top of your pie.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the top is lovely and golden.
Make the most of the short asparagus season with this delicious creamy chicken & asparagus pie recipe!