Wonderfully tender slow cooked venison is enhanced with bone broth and a rich and velvety dark chocolate sauce – a match made in heaven.
Don’t settle for bland and boring… Be bold with BOOSH and impress with our twist on the French classic bourguignon.
Recipe serves 2
2 hours to cook, with 20 minutes prep time and 3 (or more if you can wait…) hours for marinating
500 ml red wine
1 thyme sprig
2 crushed garlic cloves
1 star anise
5 tsp brandy
400g diced venison
1 thyme sprig, 1 parsley sprig, 1 bay leaf
50ml olive oil
1 tbsp plain flour
300ml of Boosh Organic Beef Bone Broth – available from booshfoods.com, Ocado, and Amazon
6 small shallots
15g Food Thoughts Pure Cacao Melts – available from foodthoughts.co.uk, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose and Ocado
50g diced pancetta
100g of mushrooms
½ handful of roughly chopped parsley
Sea salt and ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the diced venison and marinade ingredients, cover and leave in the fridge for three hours (or more if you can wait…)
- Once marinated, separate the venison from the marinade and save the marinade in a bowl for using later.
- Tie together the thyme, parsley and bay leaf with string to make a bouquet garni, peel the onions, chop the mushrooms and peel and cut the carrots into chunks ready for cooking.
- Heat a large casserole dish with a few tablespoons of oil over a medium heat. Add the venison and cook for at least 20 minutes until well browned.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring.
- Add the marinade and Boosh Organic Beef Bone Broth to the dish and bring to a boil, then add the bouquet garni, onions and carrots. Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and partially cover for 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the meat feels tender and the sauce looks rich and glossy.
- A few minutes before the venison is ready, take a few spoonful’s of the sauce and add to a bowl. Whisk in the Food Thoughts Pure Cocoa Melts and then re-add to the casserole dish. Once mixed together, turn off the heat and cover.
- Heat a frying pan with the rest of the oil over a medium heat. Add the pancetta and fry for 2-3 minutes, then stir in the chopped mushrooms and fry for 1-2 minutes. Add to the casserole dish and stir through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then stir in the parsley and you are ready to serve.
We think that venison and chocolate is a match made in heaven but don’t just take our word for it – try the recipe and see for yourself!